THE ENTREPRENEURIAL QUIZ
While there is no single entrepreneurial archetype, there are certain character traits that indicate an entrepreneurial personality. In this quiz, developed from a series of questionnaire analyses performed by the Center for Entrepreneurial Management, we've concentrated on those indicators. If you've ever wondered whether or not you have what it takes to be an entrepreneur, here's your chance to find out.
1. How were your parents employed?
Both worked and were self-employed for most of their working
b. Both worked and were self-employed for some part of their working lives
c. One parent was self-employed for most of his or her working life
d. One parent was self-employed at some point in his or her working life
e. Neither parent was ever self-employed
2. Have you ever been fired from a job?
Yes, more than once
b. Yes, once
3. Are you an immigrant, or were your parents or grandparents immigrants?
I was born outside the United States
b. One or both of my parents were born outside of the United States
c. At least one of my grandparents was born outside of the United States
d. Does not apply
4. Your work career has been:
Primarily in small business (under 100 employees)
b. Primarily in medium-size business (101 to 500 employees)
c. Primarily in big business (over 500 employees)
5. How many businesses did you operate before you were twenty?
b. A few
6. What is your present age?
d. 51 or over
7. You are the ________ child in the family
8. What is your marital status?
9. Your highest level of formal education is:
Some high school
b. High school diploma
c. Bachelor's degree
d. Master's degree
10. What is your primary motivation in starting a business?
To make money
b. I don't like working for someone else
c. To be famous
d. To have an outlet for excess energy
11. Your relationship with the parent who provided most of the family's income was:
12. If you could choose between working hard and working smart, you would:
b. Work smart
13. On whom do you rely for critical management advice?
Internal management teams
b. External management professionals
c. External financial professionals
d. No one except myself
14. If you were at the racetrack, which of these would you bet on?
The daily double - a chance to make a killing
b. A ten-to-one shot
c. A three-to-one shot
d. The two-to-one favorite
15. The only ingredient that is both necessary and sufficient for starting a business is:
c. An idea or product
d. Motivation and hard work
16. If you were an advanced tennis player and had a chance to play a top pro like Jimmy Connors, you would:
Turn it down because he could beat you
b. Accept the challenge, but not bet any money on it
c. Bet a week's pay that you would win
d. Get odds, bet a fortune, and try for an upset
17. You tend to "fall in love" to quickly with:
New product ideas.
b. New employees.
c. New manufacturing ideas.
d. New financial plans.
e. All of the above.
18. Which of the following personality types is best suited to be your right-hand person?
Bright and energetic.
b. Bright and lazy.
c. Dumb and energetic.
19. You accomplish tasks better because:
You are always on time.
b. You are super organized.
c. You keep good records.
20. You hate to discuss:
Problems involving employees.
b. Signing expense accounts.
c. New management practices.
d. The future of the business.
21. Given a choice, you would prefer:
Rolling dice with a one-in-three chance of winning.
b. Working on a problem with a one-in-three chance of solving it in the allotted time.
22. If you could choose between the following competitive professions, your choice would be:
c. Personnel counseling.
23. If you had to choose between working with a partner who is a close friend and working with a stranger who is an expert in your field, your choice would be:
The close friend.
b. The expert.
24. In business situations that demand action, clarifying who is in charge will help produce results:
b. Agree, with reservations.
25. In playing a competitive game, you are concerned with:
How well you play.
b. Winning or losing.
c. Both of the above.
d. Neither of the above.